Sunday, December 8, 2013

IT'S ALL RELATIVE

It's 39 degrees F outside. I know, that's warm compared to where a lot of you are. But I live in Southern California where it's supposed to be warm and sunny. The problem we warm weather people have is that our blood is thin. So to us this feels COLD!


I grew up in the Midwest, so I know a thing or two about cold, slushy, icy weather. I could handle it then because my blood had a chance to thicken up a bit during Autumn. I did my share of shoveling snow and standing at bus stops freezing my a.. off. My hour commute to work turned into an hour and a half in the winter - allowing time to scrape the ice off the windshield and warm up the car - and allowing extra time to find a place to park because the streets hadn't been cleared yet.

Yes, I spent my time in that weather. It was fun as a kid when you wanted to be out in the snow, building snow men, having a snowball fight or skating on an outdoor pond. But It's another story when you become an adult and have to get to work in the stuff - or have to shovel your way to the front door with frozen fingers after slipping and sliding your way through traffic just to get home. I still love snow, I just don't like the cold that goes along with it.


A couple of years ago I was offered a job in Northern California (where it snows), but I wasn't in a position to accept it as we own our house and houses just weren't selling then. I think I might have considered it if it hadn't been for that one little problem. The job was managing an RV Resort. We would have been living there, so no commute. I think I could have handled snow under those conditions.


Yesterday that resort posted several pictures of the recent snow in my Facebook news feed. I couldn't help but wonder if I would have adjusted to the change of seasons had I been able to accept that job, or would I be wanting to be in warmer weather - just like I am now.


Thanks for reading. See you in a few days - if I can keep my fingers from freezing!

1 comment:

  1. I had to look up what an RV resort is!! Here they are called caravan site or camping site. We have a caravan and use it most of the year for holidays, trips, and of course for my art by giving me access to seaside and new areas or areas further afield. I would want to stay in the warmth :)

    ReplyDelete