Thursday, December 5, 2013

FOR ADULTS ONLY



Here's a recipe for SPIRIT BALLS that I only made during the holidays. It's a good one for a house party as it needs to be made ahead of time. Also, because of the alcohol, it's best not to serve it with kids around.  


The last time I made these I decided to also make a batch for a Christmas party being held at a local radio station. I wrapped them up nicely with a red bow, and made sure I included a note mentioning that one of the ingredients was RUM. This radio station played my favorite music at the time, plus some great Christmas songs, so I felt really good to be able to share something home made. After all - there were no kids there. It was an office party with,
what I thought were responsible adults.


So I went home and listened to the radio station while they had their Christmas party that afternoon. Nothing was mentioned about the rum balls. Little did I know that they decided to play a prank on the evening DJ, and they removed my note about the alcohol content. Apparently that DJ had a sweet tooth as he devoured one too many of the rum balls.  About an hour into his segment, he started to slur his words. After awhile it dawned on him what had happened, and when he said "I think somebody slipped some booze into these cookies", I decided this was one recipe best not to share. But I'll share with you - so please, eat responsibly!


These Spirit Balls are UNBAKED


2 Cups fine vanilla wafer crumbs
1 Cup sifted confectioners sugar
1 Cup chopped walnuts
1/4 Cup sifted cocoa
3 Tab dark corn syrup
6 Tab Rum or Bourbon
Dash of salt

Combine all ingredients and mix well. Roll into balls using about 2 teaspoons of the mixture for each ball. Then roll in colored sugar, cocoa or sifted confectioners sugar. Store in covered container for several days before serving. Makes about 35 balls. Enjoy.

Thanks for reading - see you in a few days.


No comments:

Post a Comment